GB3WL (Wythall 70cms Analogue Voice Repeater)
Wythall Radio Club is pleased to sponsor GB3WL, a 70cms wide-split repeater for Wythall, South Birmingham, Redditch, Solihull, the M42 & surrounding areas.
Output Frequency: 430.950 MHz (+7.6MHz split)
CTCSS Tone: 67Hz (Midlands region Tone A)
Location: Silver Street, Wythall B47 6LZ
- Operated & underwritten by the members of Wythall Radio Club, GB3WL is housed at the Club’s Headquarters in the cellar shack at Wythall House in Silver Street, Wythall.
- Housed in a 19” rackmount, GB3WL uses a Tait T800 Base Station & a logic system designed by Jake G1YFF – it feeds a brand-new commercial 4 stacked folded dipole array installed on the chimney at Wythall House.
- Although initially a club project, GB3WL is offered to the whole amateur community to serve South Birmingham, Redditch, Solihull and the southern section of the M42, currently not so well served by other repeaters.
- We realise that many of you may wish to help out with our costs. Any donations will go exclusively to pay our bills & keep the repeater fully functional. If you wish to contribute, please use Paypal to [email protected] with a note saying “For GB3WL” and send your payment as a “gift”. Even just £1 will help!
A SHORT HISTORY OF GB3WL
- Early January 2014 – First proposed as a possible solution to problems WRC members especially were having with topography in trying to work each other locally. Wythall RC Committee unanimously approves the project as it soon becomes obvious that other local hams and mobile stations will also benefit.
- Late January 2014 – Club member Noel G8NDT donates equipment to get the project underway and another member Dave G3YXM offers to become Repeater Keeper and take on the technical challenge of getting the repeater built and maintained. The proposal is submitted.
- February 2014 – The proposal is accepted & the application for the NoV is submitted to Ofcom
- March 2014 – The construction of GB3WL begins.
- May 2014 – A donation is applied for to pay for a commercial quality 4-stacked folded dipole antenna system for GB3WL
- June 2014 – GB3WL passes final testing and is delivered to Wythall Radio Club
- June 2014 – The generous donation for GB3WL’s antennas arrives from Western Power Distribution. The professional, made for GB3WL, stacked array of 4 folded dipoles is ordered and arrives with the repeater keeper within a week!
- July 2014 – The antennas and feeder are installed
- 8th December 2014 – The NoV arrives and GB3WL is on the air
PLEASE CHECK BACK REGULARLY FOR THE LATEST NEWS ON GB3WL